Thursday, September 13, 2018

Being Sick - Endometriosis and Hashimoto's Disease

Jessica Brooks Living with Endometriosis and Hashimoto’s Disease
Depression & Anger

Why me? They don’t understand. Being sick...

HELLO AGAIN...

Me again, hello fellow bloggers and followers. For those who are new to my blog, let me get started on a quick summary. My name is Jessica and I am 27 years old. At 26 I almost died. Cool story right? Well i was saved thanks to emergency surgery and advanced medical technology. Also, because of the same advanced medical technology, or lack thereof, I was also diagnosed with Endometriosis, 11 years after having it. A debilitating chronic illness that causes severe pain, all the time! Despite what you may research, I am in pain throughout my cycle. Before, after, during… It always hurts. “But you look healthy and act happy.” I do because well, it's kind of what women have been told to do since the day they first got their period. “Keep it a secret, hide your sanitary napkins in a small purse you put inside another purse, or buy the discreet tampons.” We can’t let society know we BLEED! God forbid. It be utter chaos! Well to throw a fantastic cherry on top! I have since discovered. That I am dealing with not 1 but 2 chronic illnesses that have no cure. On top of having Endometriosis I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. What is that you ask?

Hashimotos Disease

Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disorder that can cause hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid. With this disease, your immune system attacks your thyroid. The thyroid becomes damaged and can’t make enough thyroid hormones.

The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck.
Thyroid hormones control how your body uses energy, so they affect nearly every organ in your
body—even the way your heart beats. Without enough thyroid hormones, many of your body’s
functions slow down.
As hypothyroidism progresses, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:
  • tiredness
  • weight gain 
  • trouble tolerating cold 
  • joint and muscle pain 
  • constipation 
  • dry, thinning hair 
  • heavy or irregular menstrual periods and problems becoming pregnant (also with my Endometriosis) 
  • depression BINGO! 
  • memory problems 
  • a slowed heart rate - Sometimes I pass out..
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/hashimotos-disease
This content is provided as a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK), part of the National Institutes of Health. The NIDDK translates and disseminates research findings
through its clearinghouses and education programs to increase knowledge and understanding about health
and disease among patients, health professionals, and the public.
Content produced by the NIDDK is carefully reviewed by NIDDK scientists and other experts.
The NIDDK would like to thank:
COL Henry B. Burch, MD, Chair, Endocrinology Division and Professor of Medicine, Uniformed Services
University of the Health Sciences; Leonard Wartofsky, M.D., M.A.C.P., Washington Hospital Center and
Georgetown University Hospital


My attitude about being SICK.
I am angry all the time. Everything gets to me. I am angry about it being too loud, I am angry
about being tired all the time, I am mad when I am late to work. I am always angry. But most
of all I am angry that I am sick. I am upset. I have been dealt this sickly deck of cards, I can’t
seem to pick up and get in order without me spilling it on the ground again every flare up. I hate
being the sick girl. I have the 5 pills a day I am instructed to take no matter how much they make
my head hurt or my stomach turn. EVERYDAY. I am upset that I have to build up my immune
system with injections. Which honestly still wouldn’t be that bad but with the meds everyday and
the not knowing if today is going to be a good day or not, it is just something else to be angry
about. People don’t want to be around me, and I don’t blame them because sometimes I don’t
want to be around myself. I should enter in a line here about being strong and dealing with things
because I am strong enough to deal with them. But, I would be lying to myself and to you. I don’t
know how to be ok with who I am. A person my age should finally be getting comfortable with who
they are and I am just still fighting the inevitable. Being the sick girl. The one who can’t start a
family the way she wants to. One who can’t travel the way she wants, let alone go out without
her pain medications. And if something is too much for me. Then why bother? My attitude
about being sick is exactly that, an attitude. I am always angry and depressed. But I can admit
that. And I can be ok with that. How to feel better, mentally anyways, I haven’t figured out yet.
But if and when I do I will share for those who are feeling just like me… Till next time

-Sick Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment