Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Traveling tips for Endo Warriors


I love to travel! Whether it's seeing new places or visiting relatives, I enjoy living out a suitcase with my significant other. However, being chronically ill and trying to enjoy driving for hours, sight seeing, attending events sometimes becomes difficult.

Spoon theory- "Spoons" are a visual representation used as a unit of measure used to quantify how much energy a person has throughout a given day. Each activity requires a given number of spoons, which will only be replaced as the person "recharges" through rest. A person who runs out of spoons has no choice but to rest until their spoons are replenished." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory  

Sometimes I may not have enough spoons to attend events, travel, drive, fly, sight see, etc...

That is why I decided to come up with a plan! I wanted to make sure I had a check list of items and ideas that could help me get through the day, and potentially provide me more spoons. I came up with a few tips of my own and also asked a few other spoonies what they think might help a Endometriosis sufferer during a trip. 

  1. Track your cycle  - Know where you are in your cycle when traveling. For example, I know my bad days are during my period, and during ovulation. This can help you with a multitude of planning. 
  2. Do not pack lightly  - Think about the things you may need when you are traveling. Medications - decide which medications may be helpful and make sure you have enough to last the entire trip. This includes, over the counter meds, nausea pills, prescription pain medications, and even your birth control pills. Also feminine hygiene products! Stock up on pads, tampons, menstrual cups, reusable pads, etc. And clothes, if you are are anything like me when on your period and you bleed more then the usual person, pack extra under wear, and remember to travel comfortably! Might even be a great idea to see your doctor before heading on a trip, to refill medications and to check on your overall health. 
  3. Bring your essentials - For a Spoonie like me this means my heating pad. You may want to look into disposable heating pads or ones that may have a car charger connection, for those who are traveling on the road. This also means my NOOK, I love to read so bringing something to keep me distracted can sometimes help. Anything you consider a need to help you during those hard times is essential. 
  4. Watch what you eat - I know sometimes during a trip eating healthy can be time consuming. I myself find it better if I can cook my own food. But I also know my endometriosis has triggers. For me its red meat, and dairy. This just means if I can't cook my own meals to look for better alternatives, rather than the gas station snacks or the drive thru burger joints. I do, however, love ice cream so I always consider moderation when wanting to indulge. 
  5. Drink A lot of water - Staying hydrated can help with cramps also it is better for your overall health. For those traveling to remote parts of the world, remember to bring a water bottle to refill along with a portable water filter built in. Staying properly hydrated will aid your body during those pain episodes.
  6. Work out - I know this sounds crazy right! I don't mean complete a full work out regime every day. I mean do what you can and continue to move. Depending on how many spoons I have for that day I will either run a few miles or do low impact yoga. Do what is best for you and do NOT over exert yourself. 
  7. Sleep - Get your rest. Take naps during breaks in your day. Maybe try not to stay out to late when you know tomorrow is going to be a full schedule. 
  8. Plan your days - This might make it easier to plan when to start your day and decide to hit the hay during your trip. This can help you see and do more things. 
  9. Treat yo' self - Remember to have fun! You are more then your illness and you deserve this time to enjoy and create new memories. Smile, laugh, and live your life to the absolute fullest. Remember you are not suffering, you are surviving!
  10. Create your own list - I hope my list gave you a head start on planning your trip. Sometimes it may be best to ask a trusted friend or a significant other who knows you and your illness well enough to help you decide what other things might be a good idea to bring or do before heading off on your trip.


"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - Susan Sontag

No comments:

Post a Comment